Food. Travel. Recipes.

Thursday 19 May 2011

Tasty salads!

So I’ve always loved eating salads. A lot of people think they can be boring, and they can be! But it doesn’t take much to spruce up some salad leaves!


I made this a week ago and as I mentioned in the previous post, I am obsessed with avocado. I have no idea why. I am really liking eating healthy stuff which doesn’t seem healthy! Like adding avocado, bean salad and nuts to a salad gives it substance and doesn’t make you think you’re eating something tasteless and not exciting. Avocados are so creamy and I just love the taste of them for some reason. They are good for you too, they contain a lot of natural oils and are great for your hair and skin! They have a ton of vitamins and contain more potassium than bananas! Brilliant! I’m also loving adding fruit to salads, strawberries and mangos are my favourites right now.

So to this salad which had a base of lettuce leaves, I added –

- 1 chopped avocado which I then put in a bowl and mixed in salt, pepper, fresh mint leaves and lime juice

- 1 whole tomato, sliced.

- 1 red pepper

- Some olives

- 1/2 mozzarella ball

- 1/2 mango chopped

- handful of walnuts.

I like to arrange the lettuce leaves and tear them up. Then lay the tomato and peppers on top. Followed by the mango and avocado. Then scatter the walnuts and avocado pieces on top, and drizzle the juice that was in the bowl with the avocado.


I then finished with a dressing which I made from, chilli jam (my favourite new addition to the cupboard, delicious!), olive oil, red wine vinegar and a sprinkle of dried mint.

I love foods that are slightly tangy, with vinegar or mint, which is why I made up this dressing. I also thought it went well with the salad itself, seeing as it already had ingredients like mint and lime.

Another great easy dressing you can whip up is a honey mustard one, using, a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard, dessert spoon of runny honey, and a squeeze of lemon juice!

No comments:

Post a Comment