Food. Travel. Recipes.

Sunday 1 May 2011

Tuna meatballs and tomato salsa

Last night, for the second time round, I made these deliciously yummy tuna meatballs with a tangy salsa. I have taken this from Jamie’s Italy cookbook, which I love leafing through and thinking about my time in Italy and the amazing food Italians make.

I have kind of merged two recipes, in that I use the recipe for the tuna meatballs here but use another recipe for the salsa (sausages with green lentils and tomato salsa) which is also in the Italy cookbook. However, I sort of make up the salsa more or less as I go along now as I have made it so many times.

My version of the salsa – (for one person – double up if you’re cooking for more people)

1 red onion, 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)

Generous sprinkling of cinnamon

1 tin of plum tomatoes

1 tablespoon dried oregano

Salt

Pepper

Red wine vinegar

Finely chop the red onion and garlic cloves. Heat up a pan and drizzle some oil in it. When it’s hot enough, add the onion and garlic and fry until soft and with a slight brown colouring. Sprinkle over the cinnamon and mix the onion and garlic in it.

Add the tin of tomatoes, and if you’re using the plum kind, try to chop up the tomatoes in the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the oregano and put the lid on. Simmer until your meatballs are almost cooked.



Once you’re about to plate up, add a drizzle of red wine vinegar to the salsa and mix. Turn off the heat for a minute or two before plating up.

For the meatballs themselves, follow this recipe here. I would highly recommend rolling the meatballs quickly between your palms so the heat keeps them together and then arranging on a plate to keep in the fridge for an hour or so before cooking.


It is delicious, also even better if you make too many meatballs and have to save some for the next day!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment