Food. Travel. Recipes.

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Homemade (easy!) bread!

This is a recipe I made waaaay back in January BUT at that point, I wasn’t blogging at all despite probably cooking more (think I’d lost the desire to blog a bit!) but now the desire is back especially as I am currently on holiday (but kinda feels like I’m at home just in a nicer place as staying in a house here) and I thought I had uploaded a few photos of what I wanted to post whilst I was here but I had not. Then I remembered THIS recipe! I really want to make it again soon as it was easy, and I know how annoying it is when you hear people say “oh that recipe is SO easy!!” when you’re thinking, “it REALLY isn’t! What are they on about…!” but for a bread recipe, this is. There is no faff, no waiting about. Just make the bread, bake and enjoy!



So it is a Nigel Slater recipe, a chef whose recipes I absolutely adore, I have one of his older cookbooks and am desperate to make a lasagne from it. Not that I have ever made a lasagne before, so that shall be an experiment! I also LOVED the television version of his autobiographical book “Toast”, cried a lot and was incredibly inspired by him and his huge desire to cook. Definitely want to read that as well!

So I am directly lifting this recipe from the BBC page where I found it, obviously I am not claiming it is in any way my recipe. It is just I have forgotten anything different I may have done, which was probably nothing anyway! I will insert photos of how I cooked it, as he said a casserole dish and I was unsure for a while as to what dish would be the best to cook it in from what I had, I eventually chose one and it actually turned out well.

Ingredients

225g/8oz wholemeal flour

225g/8oz plain flour

½ teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon caster sugar

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

350ml/12fl oz buttermilk

Preparation Method

Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/ Gas 8. Put a large casserole dish and its lid in the oven to warm up.

In a large bowl, mix the flours, sea salt, sugar and bicarbonate of soda together with your fingers. Pour in the buttermilk, bringing the mixture together as a soft dough. Working quickly (the bicarbonate of soda will start working immediately), shape the dough into a shallow round loaf about 4cm/1 1/2 inch thick.

Remove the hot casserole dish from the oven, dust the inside lightly with flour the lower in the dough. Cover with lid and return to oven.

The bread should be ready after 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave in place for 5 minutes before turning out and leaving to cool slightly before eating.

...In other news this holiday is lovely, super relaxing with a LOT of lovely food, which I will be blogging about. I want to live here!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment