Food. Travel. Recipes.

Tuesday 16 August 2011

How do you like your eggs in the morning?

Just a quick post, (I wanted to do a longer one but they do take me quite a while and I like to take my time) I realised I haven't covered breakfast on here yet which is by far my favourite meal of the day, I'm going through a bit of a weird phase at the moment where it seems too early to eat and can't seem to eat in the mornings anymore which annoys me because eating breakfast helps kickstart your metabolism into working! However, for those days that I do eat breakfast, I like to make quite a lot of effort and it usually involves eggs.

I prefer having poached eggs, it's so delicious when the yolk is lovely and runny! My poached eggs always look quite strange (just because of how they are done in the saucepan) but they do work!

My top tips are -

- use a saucepan full of boiling water - put a few drops of vinegar in (this helps the egg stay together) you can use white wine vinegar, malt vinegar or even balsamic vinegar. I quite like the taste of vinegar so I don't mind it when eating the egg but would recommend a couple of drops of malt vinegar if you're not a big fan!

- when the water is near bubbling pour the raw egg in, it may sort of spread out in the pan so gently using a wooden spoon push the egg so it's more together

- leave for around 3 minutes for a nice runny egg, the water may go crazy and bubble a lot so you will have to turn it down but by that time it is usually near done

- scoop the egg out of the saucepan using a slotted spoon so the water can drain through and you don't get soggy bread!

My breakfast of a sesame seed bagel with caramelised onion chutney, 2 poached eggs, pepper and a scattering of fresh thyme
(you will be able to see in the image what I mean about how the poached egg looks, but trust me, it's good and like a normal poached egg!)




No comments:

Post a Comment